Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Power of Branding

My two sisters and I are playing this game currently. Come up with a brand that has become generic in the eyes of the local consumers. Do you know how to do this? Just think of some product that you think is commonly referred to as the actual thing. That people are actually unaware of the brand usage. Example - Pampers for diapers. And the top nominees are:

  1. Pampers - baby diapers (of course)
  2. Maggi - instant noodles (favorite food in boarding schools or even colleges)
  3. Softlan - fabric softener
  4. Pajero - 4-wheeler (I think most Malaysians refer to all 4-wheeler as Pajero. I have a friend who sent his Ford Ranger to the car-wash, and upon completion, the car-wash operator called his worker to get the "Pajero" right in the owner's face!)
  5. Clorox -I think all makciks use this to refer to all sort of bleach product
  6. Shell - all gas stations are called Shell (I think)
  7. Dettol - for all disinfectants
  8. Kotex - tolong beli Kotex bang! And the hubby obligedly understood what it meant...

So what else can you think of?

I'm bored - and blogging in KLCC Convention Center while my kids are roaming KLCC with their aunt...sigh..

2 comments:

Makbudak said...

Yeah, I suggested that, but my sis is opposed to it.

Anonymous said...

eyemo,nestum...