Thursday, October 19, 2006

In the Raya Mood

Somehow all the buzz and fuss of the festivities reminds me of my childhood. There was a different feeling back then, and I miss that feeling.

I miss the atmosphere of Ramadhan then, specifically being around the kitchen of my late grandmother's house when she and my mother would prepare the buka puasa dishes.

I miss feeling so weak and drained while waiting for the azan.

I miss the fresh smell of rambutan plucked from the trees, turned into juices from the blender my mother just bought when we first had electricity installed at Wan's house.

I miss being greedy with all the buka puasa spread like pengat, kueh talam, rambutan juice, gulai cendawan sisir.

I miss having buka puasa with my parents and siblings.

And I look forward to a sumptuous buka puasa with them when we all get together this Sunday to prepare my mom's famous gulai ayam kampung, my kids favorites - lemang and rendang daging kerbau... Hey, only in my kampung I get to have daging kerbau (buffalo meat), instead of beef!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

besss nye..miss kakti nun jauh di negara org..
jgn sedih2 ye..mak n ujek..

Anonymous said...

I miss buka puasa with mak, apak n all too. UWAAAAAAA!!!! miss raya kat kampung.Miss kecoh2 rebut bilik air dipagi raya.